Entry #399: Right to change legal gender in Arkansas

Current Version

IssueRight to change legal gender
StatusLegal, but requires surgery
Start Date2002
End Datenow
DescriptionArkansas will amend after receipt of a court order verifying that they have undergone sex-reassignment surgery and that their names have been changed.
Reports (2)
  • Note field is incorrect "Anecdotal: My pre-op trans boyfriend was able to change the gender marker on his ID simply by going down to the courthouse with a copy of his name change form. To change one's legal name in most counties, all you have to do is submit a form and pay a fee. "
  • Status is not correct "The Arkansas DMV now honors requests to change gender markers on DLs more or less at request at a state revenue office, given a name change court order. Resistance may vary by county, but the home office in Little Rock can clarify the current policy. A doctor's note is necessary for a name change, but surgery is absolutely _not_ a requirement. See page 28: http://www.transequality.org/sites/default/files/docs/resources/ARTECGuide-FINAL.pdf"

sofoust created this entry.

This entry has no revisions.