In 1979, there were 5 recorded legal changes made affecting LGBT people. In the previous year, there were 13 changes made and 19 in the following year. A total of 103 legal changes were made in the 1970s.
- October 24LGBT discrimination becomes no protections.Formally, Iranian government believes every citizen to be heterosexual, stripping protection for LGBTQ+ community.
- (date unknown)Homosexual activity becomes legal.Spain was the third country to formally legalize same-sex marriage.
- Equal age of consent becomes n/a.Homosexual sex is illegal. Also, sexual activity outside of marriage is illegal.
- January 1Equal age of consent becomes equal.No
- LGBT housing discrimination becomes sexual orientation and gender identity.Under the Home Rule Act
LGBT Organizations Founded in 1979
- Equality North CarolinaEquality NC is dedicated to securing equal rights and justice for LGBT North Carolinians. To accomplish these goals, the organization lobbies the North Carolina General…
- National LGBT FederationGlobalEstablished in 1979, the NXF is the oldest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) NGO in Ireland. The NXF publishes Gay Community News (GCN) and campaigns for the equal…
- National LGBT Federation